Weekend breakfasts: a meal unlike any other of the week, mainly consisting of delicious food that can be heavy and filling but it will surely make you and your tummy happy.
You wake up, you go to the kitchen, bring the pot of water to a boil, make a cup of coffee or tea, prepare breakfast, eat breakfast on the porch enjoying the morning sun.
My weekend morning starts somehow similar. The sun hits the top of our house. My only spot to get a good amount of sun is the neighbor’s porch or roof where I was caught practicing yoga once, among the 5 times I practiced yoga on my own. And instead of a quiet morning, I get the noises of small trucks unloading goods to the mini-market that’s right next to our house, cars and motorbikes driven by reckless teenagers (and sometimes younger children) who has nothing better to do, and our noisy neighbor fixing motorbikes and pimping cars with those crazily loud stereo speakers and trying them all day long.
My mornings aren’t all that quiet. Still, I make my breakfast, take my seat at our porch ignoring all facts, and allow myself to be taken by whatever I prepared in my small kitchen. A book, magazine, my phone or laptop keep me company and transport me to far away with some tunes that I feel like listening to. I have no specific music I want to listen to in the morning. It can Marilyn Manson’s Cupid Carries A Gun, music from my favorite show Glee, Beyonce, Fairuz, classical music, or even the crazy Die Antwoord. It depends on the mood.
One of the treats I’ve treated myself with is this: fried prosciutto and eggs fried in prosciutto fat topping a slice of bread with mustard and sliced avocados, and this fluffy apple butter & bourbon pancakes. This pancake recipe is a more delicious take on the basic vegan pancakes I posted last summer. This time I jumped over the vegan label but kept the healthy one maintained. It occurred to me that adding a whisked egg to the mix would make it fluffier, and boy, I was right. It now feels fluffier and lighter in texture.
No wonder I’m getting fat. But at least I’m enjoying it. Good food makes everything better and according to my belief, calories don’t count when you eat with a smile on your face. Your clothes might shrink, but that’s OK. They grow back in size when you feed them better.
Give yourself this wonderful pleasure this weekend and see for yourself how happy you will be.
Fried Prosciutto & Eggs Bites
- 3 eggs
- 3 Slices of prosciutto
- Fry the prosciutto in a pan until crispy
- In the prosciutto fat, crack the eggs and fry until they’re set (or the way you prefer them)
- Serve on toasted bread with some dijon mustard and avocado slices as pictured
Apple Butter & Bourbon Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp caraway
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water or milk
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 beaten egg with 4 tablespoons of Bourbon
- Oil or butter for the pan
- Mix the dry ingredients in a container
- Whisk the wet ingredients then fold into the dry ingredients
- Heat a flat pan and brush butter or oil then wipe with a paper towel
- Pour a few tablespoons or half a cup of the batter onto the pan and reduce heat to medium
- When the bottom starts to turn golden brown and the top feels less liquidy, carefully flip the pancake
- Remove when browned on both sides
- Keep the pancakes in an oven with very low heat until the entire batch is done
- Stack the pancakes, top with butter (or sneak thin slices in between each pancake) and drizzle with pure honey or your favorite syrup