It’s never the same. No year is similar to the one it follows or the one it proceeds. Each year brings different experiences, new joys, new sorrow, new lessons. It’s all in how you perceive it.
Three years ago around this time, I was planning and working on starting this blog. I started it without any prospect on how it will grow or what will happen to it. I still kind of don’t, but I’m still blogging for the joy of it.
This past year has been a roller-coaster ride. I’ve been juggling to sustain (maybe I should learn juggling as a clown too) between design and online management to clown performances to cooking and catering, and having my own vegan concept restaurant “Sprouts”.
This year, after three years of blogging and with so many changes that happened in my life, the only thing that’s not only still there but also growing is my love for food. The blog is growing beautifully. Smoothly and slowly but it’s growing. And I’m happy and grateful to see that happening. I’m thankful for the people who read, shared, loved, commented, supported, and were part of the success of #Cookin5m2
This year, the adventure is still going. Between clown performances, some design and social media work with The Caravan, to some cooking here and there, I am trying to keep myself busy and make some $$$. Yet this meant that I won’t be traveling this year and I’ll only be dreaming of the white beaches and green lanes of Sri Lanka, of the pungent flavors of their food, of their smiling faces, and of the individuals I met there.
My only resort is to transport myself to Sri Lanka with the flavors. I still have some of the spices I got, well sealed and safely stored. I gave myself a spicy chicken dish with loads of curry flavors, turmeric, and cumin, served aside a red rice bowl fragrant of cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
Chicken Curry with Red Rice
- 800g chicken breasts
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large thumb of ginger
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp dry green curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 cloves cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium potato
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom
- Cinnamon stick
- Dice the chicken breasts and the potato. Finely mince the onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Heat some oil in a medium pot. Throw in the onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook on medium heat until soft then add the chicken and cook until cooked through. Add the potato and stir
- Mix the spices and add to the pot and stir until the spices are fragrant
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- In another pot bring water to a boil. Add rock salt and rice spices
- Add the rice and cook for around 30 minutes or according to pack instructions. Red rice took more to cook. You can use white Basmati instead
- Drain the rice and serve alongside the curry